To save yourself a lot of unnecessary grief on Valentine’s Day, we’ve compiled a list of ‘what not to buy your loved one’ this year.
Read on to learn more about the gifts that you absolutely, positively, should most definitely avoid…
15 Gifts to Avoid on Valentine’s Day
1. Gym membership – You may think you’ve hit the nail on the head with this gift, especially if the gym you’ve chosen is a state-of-the-art, modern-day workout studio, when in fact your other half will most likely think you’re implying she needs to get in shape!
Women despise being told their bodies aren’t good enough at the best of times, especially not on the most romantic day of the year.
Be warned; buy your Valentine a gym membership and you’ll deserve the backlash that comes with it.
2. Vacuum cleaner –Nothing quite says, “I love you” like a vacuum cleaner. Wake up! Regardless of whether it has several suction settings and comes in a snazzy color, this modern appliance is a household need and should never be confused as a gift.
It simply says ‘I expect you to do the chores’.
3. Gift cards – Valentine’s Day should be about expressing yourself.
Presenting your loved one with a gift card simply says you’re taking the safe and easy option. It’s also an extremely impersonal gift.
Try to think outside of the box and buy your love something individual and that has meaning.
4. Clothing – Unless you’ve teamed up with her best friends…know her exact size…or she’s told you her favorite brand, clothing is a dangerous idea.
Trying to guess your loved one’s size is as easy as trying to find a needle in a haystack.
Whether you choose something too small or too big, you’re likely to offend your Valentine either way.
5. New pots and pans – This is as good as saying ‘I expect you to cook for me!’
Unless she’s specifically asked for a designer range of pots and pans, leave this gift idea well alone.
6. Tickets to a football match – If your love is an avid football fan, then this is the perfect gift. If she’s not – it’s clear you’re buying this one for yourself.
7. Stuffed animals – Giving your Valentine a stuffed animal, although cute, doesn’t exactly scream maturity.
It’s highly recommended you move up the gift giving scale and find something a little more grown-up!
8. Fake flowers or fake jewelry – If you’re going to get your loved one jewelry or flowers, ensure they’re real!
Although they cost a lot more, it will be worth it for the look on your Valentine’s face.
If you love your partner, you should be happy to part with a little of your money on this occasion.
9. Nothing – Doing absolutely nothing for the love of your life on Valentine’s Day is the worst thing you could possibly do.
Whether it’s something as small as a personalized card, or something as extravagant as a trip away – regardless of what you get your loved one, getting him or her a gift shows you care.
10. Dinner at a horrible restaurant – Too many a romantic, Valentine’s Day is all about chocolate, flowers, and candlelit dinners.
If you’re planning on taking your loved one to a romantic dinner, make sure you pick the right place! Making a reservation is a must, and if you want to go the extra mile, ensure the restaurant serves her favorite dessert and dress smartly.
All these extra little things will make a huge difference.
11. Bath products – This is a risky one, especially as most girls will already have a multitude of bath products, many of which they won’t even use!
Unless she’s specifically asked for a certain brand, you’re privy to her favorite scents or she’s recently run out of her preferred product, this is a no go!
12. Novelty gifts – These types of gifts are great fun; they shouldn’t, however, be the main affair!
From V-Day boxers to cartoon cards, a novelty gift should always be teamed with a real gift too.
Do you have any funny stories surrounding novelty gifts that you’ve brought your partner?
13. His and hers – His and her gifts are great if you’re on your honeymoon (especially if they’re provided by the hotel), however, they can be a little cliché.
Try to think outside the box if you want to impress your Valentine. Have you got any great Valentine’s Day gift ideas you’d like to share?
14. Garage bought chocolates – chocolates are a great gift, but only if you’ve put some thought into them.
Forget last-minute chocolate boxes and choose entire chocolate hamper instead, filled with an array of flavors, handcrafted from only the best ingredients.
15. Over extravagant gifts – Spending too much can prove overwhelming, especially if the relationship is new.
Thoughtful, simple gifts are often more genuine.
So there you have it – what to avoid this Valentine’s Day.
If you think we’ve missed something out please let us know, especially if there’s a funny story to go along with it.