Cats are inquisitive creatures – they enjoy climbing and exploring, which often makes it impossible to keep poisonous plants and flowers out of their reach.
If you have a pet cat, it’s therefore important to remove such hazards from your home and garden.
Flowers poisonous to cats can cause skin, stomach and mouth irritation.
Below we’ve listed a few of the most harmful plants and flowers:
- Autumn Crocus (Colchicum autumnale)
- Amaryllis (Amaryllis )
- Castor Bean (Ricinus communis)
- Azaleas and Rhododendrons (Rhododendron )
- English Ivy (Hedera helix)
- Kalanchoe (Kalanchoe)
- Cyclamen (Cyclamen)
- Yew (Taxus)
- Oleander (Nerium oleander)
- Chrysanthemum (Chrysanthemum )
- Peace Lily (Spathiphyllum )
- Lilies (Lilium )
- Pothos (Epipremnum aureum)
- Sago Palm (Cycas revoluta)
- Tulip and Narcissus bulbs (Tulipa and Narcissus)
Flowers Poisonous to Cats
This particular flower is poisonous to dogs, horses and cats. This is due to the fact it contains Colchicine and other alkaloids.
If your pet has ingested this plant, signs will include shock, bloody vomiting, diarrhoea, bone marrow suppression and multi-organ damage.
Also known as the Belladonna lily, Cape Belladonna, the Saint Joseph lily, and the Naked Lady, this particular flower can cause depression, diarrhoea, hyper-salivation, vomiting, abdominal pains, anorexia and tremors.
Castor Bean Plant
Also nicknamed the Castor Oil Plant, the African Wo dear Tree or the Mole Bean Plant, this is another flower that is toxic to a variety of pets, including cats, dogs and horses.
Animals that have ingested this poison will experience oral irritation, a burning of the mouth and throat, vomiting and diarrhoea and a sudden increase in thirst. In the worst case scenario it may even cause kidney failure and convulsions.
This is due to Ricin, a highly toxic component that inhibits protein synthesis. Other signs include a loss in appetite, weakness, sweating, a loss of coordination, fever, and difficulty breathing.
Flowers poisonous to cats include English Ivy.
This particular plant contains Triterpenoid saponins (hederagenin), which when ingested by cats, causes diarrhoea, vomiting, hyper-salivation and abdominal pain.
Although they may look delightful in your garden, they’re a plant to avoid when regarding cats.
Pets that come into contact with these flowers will experience depression, vomiting, diarrhoea and hyper-salivation.
The bulb is particularly harmful, as it contains the highest concentration of toxin.
These flowers, which are poisonous to cats, are best avoided, as they can cause everything from kidney failure to convulsions.
They contain the toxins Lycorine and other alkaloids, with the bulbs causing more harm than the actual flowers.
This flower is toxic to horses, dogs and cats as it contains Sesquiterpene, lactones, pyrethrins and other potential irritants.
Signs that your cat has ingested part of this plant include diarrhoea, dermatitis and vomiting. Your pet may also lose its balance.
Due to the insoluble calcium oxalates contained in this plant, it’s highly toxic to cats and can cause and intense burning in the mouth, lips and tongue, which often results in excessive drooling, difficulty in swallowing and vomiting.
The toxins including Terpenoid saponins contained in this plant can cause vomiting, salivation and diarrhoea. If larger doses are consumed, this can lead to heart rhythm abnormalities, seizures and even death.
All of these plants can be highly poisonous for your cat and if you think your pet may have ingested any of them, you should contact your vet.
More about flowers:
- Best winter flowers
- How to protect your flowers in winter
- 7 types of flowers to grow in your summer garden
- Flower tips
- Guide to eco-friendly flower arrangements
- Butterflies – where do they come from?
- New Halloween Flowers
- Guide to luxury flowers
- Flower pressing – make your flowers last longer
- Winter flower arrangements
- 5 great vase alternatives
Order And Send Flowers
Local And International Delivery
Flowers By Occasion And Holiday
Specialized Gift Ideas